It’s time for our Christmas party!
4 Poems & a (Christmas) Party!
For WSW members, the Christmas party is one of the highlights of the club calendar. It’s a memorable evening in which we get to catch up with friends while enjoying some holiday food and drink, including a cash bar. And this year, an interesting twist – a reading by the poets whose work was selected for December’s Poetry in Plain Sight posters.
It’s happening Friday night, December 6, from 7 – 9 p.m. in the Upstairs Gallery of the Community Arts Cafe. The Christmas party is free for WSW members and a guest.
And speaking of Poetry in Plain Sight…
Congratulations to our December PIPS poets!
As you probably know, we select four poems each month to be printed and placed in downtown Winston-Salem businesses. This December we have the honor and pleasure of having these poets read their work at our Christmas party!
The poems selected for December are:
“holding hands” by Anna Weaver
“In The Common” by Kelly DeMaegd
“Another Moon Poem” by Celisa Steele
“Ice Storm” by Kathy Ackerman
We’re looking forward to featuring these poems during our Christmas party!
By the way, the Christmas party is a good time to donate some books to the Little Free Library.
If you have a book you’d like to donate, you can bring it to our Christmas party on Dec. 6, to Writers Night Out on Dec. 13, or you can drop it off anytime at the Press 53 office in the Community Arts Cafe.
WSW membership dues are going up. (Just a little.)
Membership to WSW will increase from $25 to $30 beginning in January. We hope you agree that’s still a very modest amount to support writers and writing in our area. However, if you want to renew before January 1 at $25, we will honor that for the coming calendar year.
Writing opportunity of the week.
THE NORTH CAROLINA POETRY SOCIETY INVITES SUBMISSIONS TO ITS 2014 CONTESTS
Deadline: January 10…Prize: For all categories: $50/25/15 and published in anthology… Entry fee: See guidelines.
The North Carolina Poetry Society (NCPS) invites submissions to its 2014 adult poetry contests, open to NCPS members and non-members and, except for the Poet Laureate contest, to both NC residents and non-residents.
2014 adult poetry contest categories include:
- Thomas H McDill Award: any form, any style; maximum 70 lines.
- Caldwell Nixon, Jr., Award: written for children ages 2-12, any form, any style; maximum 36 lines.
- Joanna Catherine Scott Award: traditional forms (except sestinas); maximum 36 lines.
- Ruth Morris Moose Sestina Award: On any theme.
- Mary Ruffin Poole American Heritage Award: any form, any style on theme of American heritage, brotherhood/sisterhood, nature; maximum of 36 lines.
- Katherine Kennedy McIntyre Light Verse Award: any form, any style; maximum 36 lines.
- Griffin-Farlow Award: Haiku.
- Poetry of Courage Award: any form, any style on theme of courage or crisis; maximum 36 lines
- Carol Bessent Hayman Poetry of Love Award: any form, any style; maximum 36 lines.
For complete rules and guidelines: http://www.ncpoetrysociety.org/adultcontests/.
Share this newsletter on: Facebook | Google+ | Twitter