Poetry in Plain Sight
The goal is to bring poetry to a wider audience and to support North Carolina poets. This Winston-Salem Writers’ program is a collaborative effort with Press 53, with a monthly event at Barnhill’s Books. It is endorsed by the Downtown Arts District Association of Winston-Salem. Monthly sponsorships from local businesses and corporations support printing costs.
Now in its second year, Poetry in Plain Sight extends the Word Up! Program that the late Rodney Holman created for Winston-Salem Transit Authority buses. Holman, was a Board Director of Winston-Salem Writers and one of Poetry in Plain Sight’s prime movers. In 2014, Winston-Salem Writers received an Innovative Projects Grant from The Art’s Council of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County to place posters in all WSTA buses as an extension of the current PIPS program.
Come to 4 Poems & A Party…
… at Barnhill’s Books, 811 Burke St, on the first Saturday of each month, 1:00 pm and see Poetry in Plain Sight in action. The selected poets will read their work, and attendees will receive a map of the poster locations. Light refreshments available.
Here’s how to enter your poem:
- You must be a resident of North Carolina.
- Submit up to 3 poems per month for consideration. Only one poem per author per year can be selected.
- Attach your poem(s) in ONE Word or PDF document (in a black 12-point standard font), to an email addressed to email@example.com. Your poem can be no more than 20 lines and no line should be longer than 4 inches (or 60 characters – including spaces) to best fit poster layout. Your submission can be an excerpt from a longer poem.
- Please use your poem title(s) as the name of the attached file.
- Include your name, mailing address, e-mail address, phone number and poem title in the body of the email. Do not include your name on the attached file. If the poem appears in a published book, the book title should also be included.
- Poems that are overtly political or religious in nature, or poems that are not appropriate for all ages, will not be considered for this program.
- Four poems will be chosen each month by Winston-Salem Writers and Press 53. Authors will be contacted only if their poem has been selected. The program is not asking for exclusive rights; therefore, the author is free to submit the poem elsewhere for consideration during and after submission and/or selection. By submitting, the author agrees to grant Winston-Salem Writers publication rights for its Poetry in Plain Sight program for up to two years. The copyright of individual poems remains with the author.
For sponsorship opportunities, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or click here for more information.